From the Top Of The Hill

My butt's planted back in Lincoln. The livin' is easy and friends are aplenty. Life is good.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

All things Inter-Bike and Lost Wages, Nevada

Well, I survived.

I was kinda bummin' on the trip to Vegas and Interbike. I didn't mind having to work another event, but Vegas isn't exactly one of my favorite places. I've been there twice before, I've seen the sights, I've gambled, I've lost money, I've eaten buffets... really, what more is there?

Okay, there's the clubs, but they cost money and I really didn't want to spend that much money. Vegas still found a way to get it's grubby hands into my wallet. Here's a tip, if you're at an over-priced, sub-par Mexican resaraunt in Vegas that doesn't even have the decency to serve margaritas on the rocks, do not--I repeat DO NOT--get sour cream with your meal when they offer it to you. We ended up paying almost $4 for sour cream that was not marked as costing extra. And don't even get me started on the price of beer at this place. Thankfully the night was saved by buying $2 24oz. tall-boys from some liquor store on the strip, watching the weirdos on the strip and seeing how many stripper cards we could collect.

On Dirt Demo (or more accurately, In Dirt Demo as Clarke calls it) was hot and dusty. I'd like to give a big thank you to the Cove guys for providing us with visual entertainment at the demo. I can't say that I really saw anything super-cool. I think I've either been around bikes too long or the industry as a whole is reaching a plateau.

I only went to one day of the actual expo, got to wander around a bit. Pushed on some competitors forks, checked out some bling. Of interest, Paul had a crankset on display, White Industries has a double chainring crankset, that when combined with their double FW allows you to have two gears on a single-speed that doesn't change chain length.

Manitou had a snazzy new booth, designed and built in Lincoln. Yes, boring, flat Nebraska will one day be the center of the cycling universe.

My foot is feeling ok. It probably would be doing even better had I not walked the strip without my boot.

Oh yeah, I got out of Vegas without gambling a single cent. I think that means I WIN!!!!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Endurosnob said…

    Tony, Here's a silly question. If you "have two gears on a single-speed," doesn't that mean it's not a single-speed?

    Love reading the adventures. Let us know when you might be back 'round the way.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Tony T said…

    Hmmm... interesting philosophical pondering you've pointed out.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Cornbread said…

    He does have a degree in philosophy and minor in creative writing. Skip, you should post some of your stories on your blog.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Endurosnob said…

    The only problem with that, Corey, would be that what you publish on blogger becomes theirs per the agreement which we all hastily clicked through in starting our blogs. Those boys at Google, who own Blogger, are pretty clever.

    Besides, why bored people?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home